well, here goes...
I decided to start a blog about my desperate journey to lose weight. So let's start at the top.
My grandmother (mother's side) was a model in her younger days, 5'10" and beautiful! She always looked her best; clothes, jewelry, make-up, hair, even into her 80's. My father's family members were all very much overweight and very unhealthy. Most of them smoked and were high school drop outs. I was raised hearing comments about people's weight and grew to believe that a person's weight defined what kind of person they were. When my maternal grandmother began to put on weight, it was a constant struggle to lose it. She tried ever diet ever invented: Richard Simmons Deal-A-Meal, Weight Watchers, and whatever else was popular from the late 60's through the 90's. Whenever we would see someone we hadn't seen in a while, the first comment muttered under the breath was always something weight-related. So, as I began to put on weight in my late 20's to early 30's, I began to believe that I was worthless and less of a person because I couldn't control my weight. Now in my late 40's (when did that happen??) and with a new baby granddaughter, I really am worried about my health. My father died at age 54 of a heart attack related to his unhealthy lifestyle (smoking and obesity were the 2 biggest factors). My mother recently had a heart attack and is limited in what she can do. I also noticed that each generation is beginning to live a shorter life than the previous one; Great grandmother died at age 92, grandmother at age 87, and mother has already had a heart attack at 67. So, if I'd like to live to see Haylee grow into an adult, I need to get healthy.
Started on Weight Watcher again (at least the 5th time in the last 10 years). It is the only plan that has ever worked for me. I also in Appalachian clogging and want to be able to keep up, so I'm going to work out more. This morning I did the "resistance" DVD from the Kettleworx program, which I like because it is only 20 minutes. I plan to go for a walk around the mountain we live on later today.
So, here's to a new life!
Just what I needed. You got me motivated to start walking again. After being told by a few Dr. that I needed to exercise, your words got me back out there. Thanks. Keep up the good work
ReplyDeleteThanks Lauren! It's so nice to be able to benefit someone other than just myself!!
ReplyDeleteYou don't need to worry about what the family will think. The ones that will think badly of it are the ones that would have come up with some other reason to be mad at or resent you and the others will understand, maybe even agree. We all know the story here!
ReplyDeleteGood luck sister- Mabye you can motivate me to start again.
that's the whole point of this blog. I feel I have a responsibility to the 4 people that actually read it, so that keeps me motivated to continue the diet and the posts!
ReplyDeleteWeigh in tomorrow!