Monday, May 2, 2011

sometimes it takes a tragedy

A wonderful woman that I used to work with was killed suddenly Friday. She was 41. Her funeral was yesterday, and even though it was very sad Dr. Ackerman said something that hit me. Sonia was put here to show us how to live. She was full of energy, compassion, and caring. She was honest in everything she did; you always knew where you stood with her. So many people said so many wonderful things about her. It's making me think about how I can be more like her and the changes I need to make to get there.
One thing my friend Charissa said was that God created us and wants us to think highly of his creation. This means I need to love myself as God loves me. It also means that I need to take better care of his creation. On the diet/exercise front, I did well this weekend. I've been looking for an angle to help me stay committed to this program. Upcoming events like weddings and class reunions don't do it. Trying to please someone else hasn't done it. Trying to fit into the tiny shorts that have been hanging on the bathroom door for 2 years obviously hasn't done it. Maybe reminding myself that I'm taking care of one of God's precious creations will finally do it. He's done so much for me, I need to care for what He's given me. Knowing I'm doing it for Him, will that work for me or will I be "using" Him as an excuse?

1 comment:

  1. Bonnie, I think your right! God has put us here to Glorify Him, and he does want us to take care of His creation, which include our bodies! 1 Cor 6:19 tells us "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own..." He wants us to care for our bodies, which are His temple!
    I'm sorry for your loss too. God is in control, even when we don't understand!
    I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete