Ok-so it has been quite a week. "Boy", as we refer to James, figured out how to order pay-per-views in the few minutes that I was not in the room with him (I guess I should just "hold it!"). This was accidentally discovered when Jim hit the recall button on the remote and the previous channel was the NUDE channel playing "Girls Gone Wild". He called Dish Network and was walked through how to determine if any others were purchased; they were and totaled $124! So of course we spent the night having conversations with James about sex, lying, "those kinds" of movies, etc. We also unplugged the TV (which I am enjoying!). A later call to Dish resulted in all of the charges being taken off (yeah!).
In the meantime, there is a local camp that has different sessions over the summer, one being a Junior Music Camp. I called to talk to the director to see what would need to happen so James could attend. The secretary wanted more info to pass on and I reluctantly gave her a brief overview of James and his disability and related needs. I also told her that he probably wouldn't be spending the night, that I'd pick him up and drop him off each day and that I could come assist him at times that I know could be troublesome for him. The director never called me back. I had tried to get him in this same camp 2 years ago and the answer was, "We don't take kids like that". Obviously, they don't realize that it is against federal law to discriminate against a person due to a disability (Americans with Disabilities Act). I am still trying to get in touch with the person to voice my thoughts about this, but I will not pursue it legally since this is such a small town and it would only cause more problems for James; I don't want him to become ostracized more than he already is.
As much as I understand (believe me, I get it more than anyone!!) what a handful he can be, the lack of resources for him that I can afford (camp at the Autism Society for one week is $4,000!) is frustrating and discouraging. It's not just this remote area I live in, either, it was actually worse in Central Florida. What he needs the most is more experience with other kids so he can learn appropriate social skills, but no one will give him a chance. Even in Florida, the relatives didn't want to spend time with him because he's so much work (now you know why we moved away!). All he's learning from this is that he is different and a freak that no one wants to be around and it breaks my heart.
Solution? Well, Jim finally agreed to start James on the GFCF (gluten-free, casien-free) diet, which has shown positive results in many with with Autism or ADHD, and James has both. What this could do is calm him down, help him to focus, and reduce the perseveration that he displays. Calming him down (the medication does some, but not when he's in an overstimulating setting) would reduce or eliminate the need to make strange noises in peoples' faces, reduce or eliminate the need to put his hands on others, help him to respect personal space, and help him listen and understand better in these situations. This is the biggest challenge he has. After 2 days on this, I saw some improvement, but then we didn't leave the house and he wasn't in any overstimulating settings. Yesterday we went out for promised pizza, NOT allowed on this diet, and saw an immediate negative reaction, which was good because now I think Jim is convinced. So we will try it for a few months and see what happens. In the meantime, I will call the camp and, calmly and rationally, give them a piece of my mind. I think we need to set up a fund of some sort for James to earn money to attend the Autism camp next summer. Most of the family may be willing to make a donation and he can earn money during the year doing various things. This will give him an opportunity to set a goal and do what needs to be done to reach it.
Stepping off the soap box and out of the crybaby seat now, have a great 4th of July!
No comments:
Post a Comment