Saturday, August 6, 2011

relative normal

Well, now that we're back in school with the students (pre-planning days don't count; nothing "normal" about them!), I'm hoping to get back on track with the diet. I need to bring a microwave in, I don't really have time to heat my lunch up somewhere else and have time to eat it (25 minutes which includes walking the students to the cafeteria and retrieving them when they're done). I also need to make sure I'm getting the exercise in; wearing the pedometer is great because it tracks the activity points earned and I just plug that into the program, but I really should be practicing my clogging routines at least 3 days per week.
I keep having to remind myself that DJ is (technically) an adult and I don't need to know about every little thing he's doing. I've been driving myself crazy worrying about them: if Haylee is getting all the attention she deserves, if he and Di are going to make it or not, if they're ever coming back here where they have lots more support, etc., etc., etc. I pray daily that their relationship lasts, I really do love Diana and think they have a great thing going if they'd just focus on each other, which takes maturity that they both lack. All I can do is keep praying...
We took James fishing today, I think for the first time ever! We didn't catch anything, but now that I kind of get the gist of it, I can take him before karate some Saturday. He has one more week until school starts. We're still doing the gluten-free diet, but I'm anxious to see if the behaviors that have extinguished return once he's back in the stress of school, with or without the diet.
Funny thing, but Jim actually enjoys being the dishwasher at a local restaurant, something I would never have thought he'd like. I guess because it's repetitious?? Who knows, at least he likes it and it's a job.
I have come to some conclusions about the difference between Autism and ADHD, and have decided that James has Autism only while DJ has ADHD. It has to do with being able to do more than one thing at a time; people with ADHD can see and attend to 10 things at once, while people with Autism tend to hyper-focus on one thing and get overwhelmed if they are expected to do more than one thing at a time. Just my personal theory based on people I live with every day!
G'day!

No comments:

Post a Comment